Home Alone was funny. Being home when someone breaks into your home is not. What are you supposed to do in that situation? Or better yet, what are you NOT supposed to do in that situation?
What To Do:
1. Get Somewhere Safe. If you have small children in the house, get to them quickly and quietly. If not get yourself somewhere safe. If you can, get out of the house. If you cannot, get somewhere with a lock on the door. Try to not give away your location.
2. Call 911. Tell the Police as quietly and calmly what is happening and that you are in the house. They are trained to know how to help you.
3. Try to Remain Calm. If you panic, you are not helping yourself and you are certainly not helping the police. Take deep breaths and try to stay quiet.
What NOT To Do:
1. Yell Out. Do not let the burglar know that you are home or that you are calling the police. This will just alert the burglar to your presence and send them into a panic.
2. Grab a Weapon. If you are yielding a weapon, and you’re scared, chances are you’re not going to hurt anyone but yourself. Unless you are a trained professional. Put down the weapon.
The best thing to remember is to remain calm and wait for the Police. They are trained to know what to do in these situations. The earlier the detection, the better chances of safety for you and your family, and the earliest detection is an wireless alarm system like the tattletale.